I think Ron Franz was portrayed as the father figure
Christopher, in his mind, never had. I
think that John Krakauer wanted to show Christopher in a different light, that
is why Franz is such a big part of this chapter. Christopher made a huge impact on Franz; he
completely changed his views on the world just in that relatively short time
that McCandless spent with him. I also
think that Franz impacted Chris as well, Chris held onto that belt and “read”
it often and very intently. He looked to
cherish it just as much as some of his favorite books, which were extremely
important to Chris. McCandless’ death
impacted Franz as well; it says in the book that Chris’ death drove him to
drinking again. The last thing to do
that was the death of Franz’s family.
That shows how important Chris was to him. As well as Franz was one of the last people
to receive letters from Chris. Also, the
fact that Chris repeatedly came back to see him was a sign of the intimate
relationship he had with him. I think
Krakauer put this in his book to defend Chris’ image, showing him as an
individual who was capable of loving another person but was just too troubled
to do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment